Thursday 10 November 2016

The challenges of a split-second penalty call

Game 24, 2016-17

Cup football under floodlights - otherwise
known as 'paradise' (pic: Referee Tales)
City Cup, quarter-final. I'm standing on the end line in my usual position for a corner kick, about 35 minutes in. It's 0-0. The corner comes to the home team's defender directly in front of me, just ahead of the near post. He tries to clear first time but, because it's a wet evening, the ball slices off his right foot and hits his arm. It bounces back down favourably for him and he clears.

"Penalty!" scream several players on the away team. Instinctively, I'd raised the whistle to my lips as the ball hit his hand, but in that split second I decide against blowing. "No intent!" I yell and start to follow the game upfield. There's an immediate foul committed against the home team as it tries to quickly break, and in the ensuing pause the away team further protests about the non-call...

Want to read more? Then buy Reffing Hell, the book version of this blog, here. Please. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I love these posts. I too have had this problem of players seeing a whistle on my lips and me changing my mind at last second. They often have a moan about it. Makes me realise how often they look at me during a match for my reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris. Maybe a response of, "Play to the whistle - watch the ball, not me," might shut them up quickly enough.

    ReplyDelete