Thursday 31 August 2017

"Let them know you're pissed off!" A Ref's Guide to Anger Management

Game 14, 2017-18

I'm faced with anger almost every game, and the general idea is that I, as the referee, must remain a steady rock of calm amid a thunderous sea of foaming fury. Yet there are times when it pays to show that you are, at the very least, mildly irritated. Here's my guide to anger management while refereeing:

The bloody huddle: for
 Christ's sake, get on with it.
1. Before the game. Both teams should have signed off on their final line-ups half an hour before kick-off, and the home side must produce a print-out of the teams for me to check against their player passes. This happens maybe once or twice a season. Upon arrival I always introduce myself to both coaches with a smile and a handshake, but I become less genial the closer we are to kick off and the coaches are still faffing around with passes and mobile phones. Less than 15 minutes before kick-off, I become exasperated. And if it turns out I can't check the passes until half-time then I pass into 'stern lecture' mode to let the wayward coach know I've already marked his card as incompetent.

2. Just before kick-off. You know the scene. Hands shaken, coins tossed, we're ready to start, but one of the teams has hunched into a huddle for a doubtless inspiring last-minute speech from the captain...
Want to read more? Click here to order Reffing Hell: Stuck In The Middle Of A Game Gone Wrong by Ian Plenderleith (Halcyon Publishing), published on August 8, 2022. 

4 comments:

  1. anger management classes

    Are you looking For Anger Management Classess in Edmonton? ... Emotional Intelligence Course on: 'How To Stop the Destructive Vicious Cycle of Chronic ...

    to get more - https://edmontoncounsellingservices.ca/services/edmonton-anger-management/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when spam comments inadvertently hit the right post. I encourage all coaches and players who explode on or next to the football field to click on the link.

      Delete
  2. Your blog site is extremely appealing. I am content with your post. I regularly review your blog site and also it's very valuable. If you are seeking Relationship counseling, after that visit life success counseling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking for a mental health counselor so that i can check up my self. Recently i am having so much stress because of mu work. That's why i need a good counselor. Can anybody suggest me a good mental health counselor?

    ReplyDelete